[mythtv-users] Troubleshooting video problems on my combined FE/BE

Jerry mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com
Sun May 31 16:29:26 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 6:45 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
wrote:

> On 03/13/2015 11:41 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:

>>> It sounds logical, gaming needs faster response.
>>> As far as I can think, the only thing that could get changed this way
>>> is your resolution and possibly the refresh rate. I guess it now sends
>>> other edid info to the computer.
>>>
>>>  In theory it should also eliminate overscan, which is a feature that
>> belongs in the analog age.
>>
>> When your incoming signal is a known 720 or 1280 digital signal, and
>> the tv is flat-screen digital with individual pixel addressing, why on
>> Earth did anybody think overscan was a good idea?
>>

> On Samsung TVs, setting Game mode eliminates the TV's processing of the
> signal--so you get exactly the output that X/MythTV gives without your
> TV screwing it up (to "make it better").  The processing goes quite a
> bit farther than just overscan, so it's a very noticeable difference.
> As a matter of fact, if you're sensitive to sync issues and you're using
> something other than the TV speakers for audio output, you may even see
> an A/V sync difference because of all the time the TV spends processing
> the video before displaying it.

Today, I addressed this again because of the differences in picture quality
with regular mode vs. game mode.  I dug up the manual and I looked at the
options in Menu -> Picture -> Picture Options.  I had to change the picture
mode from Dynamic to Standard to enable all options.

I didn't have to disable everything entirely.  I am still trying to get the
levels that I want, but I initially set MPEG Noise Filter, Digital Clean
View and HDMI Black Level to Low and Auto Motion Plus to Smooth.  This does
show a good improvement over what I was seeing with Game mode enabled.  I
may not have everything set to the ideal values but I was able to watch
some recordings without the speeding up, slowing down and slight stutters I
had with the television's default settings.

If you have a Samsung TV (mine is from 2014) and you have a similar
experience, check out the Picture Options to see if you can fix your issues.

Thanks,
Jerry