[mythtv-users] One PCI DVB-T card, 2 items in lspci

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri May 29 14:53:38 UTC 2015

On 29/05/15 15:37, Phill Edwards wrote:
>> The second device also says [MPEG Port]. Wild-assed guess is that .0
> carries the whole Transport Stream while .2 would give you a tuned mpeg
> stream of one subchannel.
>
> Thanks Mike. In afraid I don't really understand the difference. What's the
> difference between the whole transport stream and a tuned mpeg stream of
> one subchannel in practical terms?

A Transport Stream is a whole bunch of subchannels multiplexed together. These
can consist of TV, Radio, EPG and other streams of data or content.

You can either take the whole Transport Stream and save it for later processing,
use your software (ie Myth) to select which one or more streams are of interest
to you and save them (multirec), or let the tuner do the selecting for you, in
which case the filtered stream comes out the .2 port.

--

Mike Perkins