[mythtv-users] Can't find storage group to delete it

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Wed May 27 12:17:14 UTC 2015

> Sounds like you're removing /all/ directories from the Default Storage
> Group from the remote backend.  You cannot run a backend without any
> valid directories***, so either add a new directory name to the Default
> SG and make that directory (and set appropriate permissions) on the
> remote backend or put back one (or more) of the directories that are
> already in the Default SG.
>
> Mike
>
> *** Running a backend implies you have some sort of capture device and
> an ability to record, therefore, the backend must have a location for
> recording files.

I have a location for recording files - its on the master backend.

That sounds like a total contradiction of what I thought storage groups
were supposed to provide - distributed storage without a backend or
frontend being concerned about its location (other than the master).

You suggest a network mount which will surely totally break storage groups
as used/free space will now be counted twice unless its on a totally
separate partition.

Also, if storage *must* be local to a tuner it again breaks the storage
group model - what is the point. 5-6 years ago I used to nfs mount all the
frontends back to the recordings on the master backend. Surely we are past
that now?

--
Robin Gilks