[mythtv-users] Can't find storage group to delete it

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue May 26 14:36:09 UTC 2015

On 26/05/15 14:03, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Hoi Hika,
>
> Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 2:58:44 PM, you wrote:
>
>> Hoi Robin,

>>> I'm trying to do something really really simple.
>
>>> Convert a 6 year old master backend into a slave and replace it with a
>>> bright shiny new one.
>
>>> Take database backup off old box, copy all files to new one, restore db to
>>> new box, change hostname so new master is autonomous but keep one old
>>> tuner in the slave.
>
>>> Why a slave? Just until I can find a better way of connecting an STB into
>>> the system. Why have it in a separate box? The svideo card is dying and I
>>> don't want to have top keep power cycling the main server  (master) to get
>>> another couple of days out of it before the next failure.
>
>>> No renaming of directories, no defining storage groups on the slave, no
>>> unmounting old storage areas I want to keep as a backup for a couple of
>>> weeks.
>
>>> Like I say - nice and simple.
>
>> So all you have to do is make sure that none of the directories in any
>> storage group exist on the slave. For instance by giving them the
>> suffix '.old'.
>
> Oh and you might need to restart both backend services for it to take
> effect.

Just renaming the directory on the slave to something else should solve your
problem. So long as the complete file string doesn't resemble one from the
master then you should be all right.

I solved this problem in the past by ensuring that my directory structure naming
included the hostname. Specifically, I used a structure of the type:

/mnt/<hostname>/myth<n>/video

This ensures that all storage locations are uniquely addressable. The drive
itself is not where videos are stored, thus avoiding problems if the disk
doesn't mount for any reason.

It also means that NFSv4 works correctly, since the 'root' share becomes
/mnt/<hostname> on all hosts and everything else falls into place.

--

Mike Perkins