[mythtv-users] advice on recording direct to NAS

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Tue May 26 02:20:14 UTC 2015

> On 26 May 2015, at 11:10 am, "James Linder" <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:
>

>> On 25 May 2015, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>>

>> Hi all, looking for advice:
>>
>> Background: I?ve just lost a second HDD in 6months and its getting very,
>> very, very annoying.
>>
>> I have a NAS that would have capacity to record to, but have not done so
>> because of concern for failed recordings due to potential inconsistencies
>> in network and / or NAS performance. I run 4 HDD in my mythbackend
>> supporting 30tuners (nominal worst case 8 recordings at a time due to
>> overlap of pre/post roll).
> [snip]
>
> I’m amazed at the general opposition to the concept. Seagate’s ATA more than an interface paper says that if you have more than 1 disk in a box then you *will* have disk failures,
> Does this describe you?
>
> If you get NAS with an array and they use commercial not enterprize disks make sure they have vibration resistant mounting for each disk (some do)
> James

James, I didn't follow your point. Are you saying that having >1 disk in a machine *will* cause disk failures?

I find it hard to believe that a machine with only 1 disk won't have failures. Even 1 disk in a machine *will* cause failures. Eventually. Sometime between now and the year 4020 most likely.

Or was your point about resistance to recording direct to a NAS?