[mythtv-users] advice on recording direct to NAS

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Tue May 26 01:45:35 UTC 2015

Hoi James,

Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 3:40:03 AM, you wrote:

>> On 25 May 2015, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>>

>> Hi all, looking for advice:
>>
>> Background: I?ve just lost a second HDD in 6months and its getting very,
>> very, very annoying.
>>
>> I have a NAS that would have capacity to record to, but have not done so
>> because of concern for failed recordings due to potential inconsistencies
>> in network and / or NAS performance. I run 4 HDD in my mythbackend
>> supporting 30tuners (nominal worst case 8 recordings at a time due to
>> overlap of pre/post roll).
> [snip]

> I’m amazed at the general opposition to the concept. Seagate’s ATA
> more than an interface paper says that if you have more than 1 disk
> in a box then you *will* have disk failures,
> Does this describe you?

> If you get NAS with an array and they use commercial not enterprize
> disks make sure they have vibration resistant mounting for each disk (some do)
> James

In my opinion that's a commercial fable! I've been running raid with
up to 5 disks in a box for maybe 15 years. And I still have to see my
first real failure. But then it's longer ago then that, that I've used
seagate. Just watch ventilation and dust.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop