[mythtv-users] Infinite "Please Wait" watching recordings

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Fri May 22 21:33:28 UTC 2015

On 23/05/2015 12:06 AM, Peter Bennett (cats22) wrote:
> On 05/21/2015 06:46 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> Besides that, even with static addresses set in your dhcp server,
>> leases are renewed every now and then. I see it coming by in the logs.
>> In essence static that way means a lease set with indeterminate
>> length.
>> Or depending on the dhcp server it even can be of the same length as a
>> normal lease, so it needs renewing every hour/day or so (depending on
>> the set lease time. The only static part being the address being
>> offered by the server.
>>
>>> I don't know if anything is then reinitialized, but for this
>>> kind of systems, just like with servers, it is always safest to set it
>>> hard in the machines configuration and that also means not through an
>>> agent like networkmanager. The later I don't even use for wifi.
>>

> I don't think this is the cause of my problem. The front end connects
> fine with the database on the back end and with the back end mythtv to
> get the list of recordings. It is only when I want to play a recording
> that it is hanging. If the network was not working there would be no
> connection to the back end at all and the frontend application would not
> even start successfully, it would begin displaying setup prompts. Also
> in my front end startup script I have code which first checks that the
> back end port is open, so that would also not find the connection and
> would fail.
DHCP Lease renewal will not cause any network interruptions.   They
clients starts trying to renew halfway through the lease time.  If there
are no changes to the address lease, then the only thing that changes is
the expiry time of the lease.  At Expiry time, if the lease has not been
renewed, the server is free to assign that address to another client.