[mythtv-users] What's the deal with Kodi?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri May 22 00:50:58 UTC 2015

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 9:11 AM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-05-21 at 13:08 +0100, Gordon McCrae wrote:
>> OK, I don't get that at all, so I suggest your specific setup is causing
>> the slowness (or mine is causing "fastness"?).
>
> Or you just don't have as much data.
>
>> If I'm understanding you correctly, I select "Live TV / Recordings",
>> then I choose "Default", "Horizon", "Horizon - Volcano Hell" ..... and
>> the video starts immediately. No delays were experienced at all.
>
> How many recordings do you have in your database?  I have 1886
> currently.
>
> On a remote machine I get about a 20sec lag after choosing Recordings
> and then I see my recording groups and a "Working" spinner on the bottom
> right that never seems go to away.

I haven't used it in a while, so I thought I'd try it again.  I just
timed it on my cell phone (Samsung Note 4).  Remembering that Kodi
doesn't work with the stylus and needs a finger took about a minute.
>From touching "Live TV" to getting to the list of channels (waiting
for the channels and EPG stuff to import) was about six minutes.
Trying to remember where I was supposed to click to get to
"Recordings" was about four minutes.  (Under a "settings" like gear
icon?  Seriously?)  To get "Default" to show up was about 30 second.
After that it was fairly quick to select a show and get it playing.
Hitting the back button to try and select a different show brought up
the working spinner for about a minute while the show played in the
background.  I never did make it back to the program list and ended up
quitting Kodi entirely.

Starting it again I had hoped it wouldn't have to suck down the EPG
data again, but it did.  It was faster on the second run but still
took a couple of minutes.

All in all, I find Kodi's user interface to be extremely
counter-intuitive in just about every respect.  Everything I do seems
to be the wrong way to do something and even when I eventually figure
out what I'm supposed to do it takes minutes.

(FWIW, I currently have 4354 recordings in the Default group which
consume 7890GB and 291 unique xmltvids in the channels table.)

Eric