[mythtv-users] What's the deal with Kodi?

Peter Schriver peterschriver at charter.net
Thu May 21 02:21:30 UTC 2015

On 05/20/2015 11:15 AM, Damian wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm really surprised to hear so many of you moving over to Kodi as a
> front end. Am I right in thinking that Kodi is based on (or 'is')
> XBMC? I have tried XMBC roughly once every year or two since it came
> out as I feel I must be 'missing something'. Every time I try it, I
> uninstall it after a couple of days. I find it repeatedly horrible to
> set up, sluggish and ugly (compared to the best Myth themes) and I
> just don't see any benefits. I think MythTV with one of the nice
> themes (like the most recent Steppes), is SO much better.
>
> What am I missing? What is it about XBMC/Kodi that people like and
> even prefer?
>
> I'm not trying to be on a high horse, I'm genuinely interested.
>
> Maybe XBMC/Kodi doesn't work very well with Ubuntu/MythBuntu setups
> for some reason?
>
> Looking forward to reading your thoughts,
> Damian

I came from XBMC/Kodi frontend with TVHeadEnd backend with OTA tuners. I
had tried Myth in the distant past but was never able to get a stable
working environment. I finally got a cable card and realized that
TVHeadEnd wasn't going to work for me with the CC. I installed MythTV
front and backend. After a long struggle, I was able to get the backend
running. I tried MythTV frontend. I never really became comfortable with
the frontend. I Went back to Kodi and have been happy eversince. I
really like the addons and the WAF is much better with Kodi. I enjoy
changing the Skins to get a new look. My idea of a perfect system is a
rock stable headless MythTV backend with Mythweb doing the tweaking and
scheduling. Multiple frontends running Kodi and storage in a large NAS