[mythtv-users] What's the deal with Kodi?

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Wed May 20 19:05:51 UTC 2015

On 20/05/2015 19:17, Phill Edwards wrote:

>  > I'm really surprised to hear so many of you moving over to Kodi as a
> front end. Am I right in thinking that Kodi is based on (or 'is') XBMC?
> I have tried XMBC roughly once every year or two since it came out as I
> feel I must be 'missing something'. Every time I try it, I uninstall it
> after a couple of days. I find it repeatedly horrible to set up,
> sluggish and ugly (compared to the best Myth themes) and I just don't
> see any benefits. I think MythTV with one of the nice themes (like the
> most recent Steppes), is SO much better.
>  >
>  > What am I missing? What is it about XBMC/Kodi that people like and
> even prefer?
>  >

> I don't think you're missing anything. Kodi is a great product but when
> it comes to recording and watching your TV recordings I agree that
> mythfrontend is far better.

Thanks everyone. I think I understand now.

First is the 'Android' route, but I would never own an Android device
myself, so that issue doesn't affect me.

Second was the 'tiny device'/Rasbery argument, which again makes sense,
but I went down the 'slightly bigger than tiny' Liva route and
MythFrontend works fine on that.

Finally there's the 'Music player' argument. And I have to admit, that I
never even install the MythMusic plugin any more. When I last checked
it, it was dreadful. I just don't play music though myth frontend. I
prefer a dedicated music player (or the SliMP3 devices that I have
dotted around the house).

Thanks again. I was confused and now feel clearer. I'm happy with
MythFrontend for my systems, but can now understand why Kodi is being
used by others.

Cheers,
Damian