[mythtv-users] What's the deal with Kodi?

John Marshall mythtv at marshallparty.org
Wed May 20 15:27:44 UTC 2015

On 5/20/2015 10:15 AM, Damian wrote:
> I'm really surprised to hear so many of you moving over to Kodi as a
> front end. Am I right in thinking that Kodi is based on (or 'is') XBMC?

Kodi is just the new name for XBMC.

> after a couple of days. I find it repeatedly horrible to set up,
> sluggish and ugly (compared to the best Myth themes) and I just don't
> see any benefits. I think MythTV with one of the nice themes (like the
> most recent Steppes), is SO much better.

I just install from *buntu repositories and it's fine.  Add-ons need
their own configuration sometimes, but I haven't had any issues with
that.  Both Myth and Kodi have themes I like and don't like.  Kodi has
more themes, I believe.

> What am I missing? What is it about XBMC/Kodi that people like and even
> prefer?

I prefer MythFrontend for watching TV and recordings.  I think it skips
better and I'm used to the display, and I trust it more for those functions.

I use Kodi for some of its vast library of plugins.  I use the MLB.tv
plugin to watch games and highlights.  There's a Netflix plugin, but I
rarely use it and the kids use the bluray player.  But there are other
plugins for Crackle, Hulu, and other web-based video sources.  I also
prefer Kodi for listening to music, because of the navigation and also
the visualizations.

> Maybe XBMC/Kodi doesn't work very well with Ubuntu/MythBuntu setups for
> some reason?

I use MythBuntu so that's not the issue.

So, I prefer MythFrontend mostly.  But I could live with Kodi as a
frontend if I had to.  It can watch live TV and recordings just fine.
Kodi also runs on Android boxes, and the Raspberry Pi, which means
cheap(er) frontends are possible.