[mythtv-users] Cheap frontend for HD

Gordon McCrae gordon.mccrae at gmail.com
Wed May 20 14:49:23 UTC 2015

On 20/05/15 15:37, Peter Bennett (cats22) wrote:
> On 05/19/2015 11:27 AM, Kevin Johnson wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 8:06 AM, Gordon McCrae
>> <gordon.mccrae at gmail.com <mailto:gordon.mccrae at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Personally I'd recommend the DroidBox T8, I have Acer Revo boxes
>>     with MythFrontend throughout the house (five of them), but as
>>     they are getting a little long in the tooth, and I already had to
>>     use my spare because the fan died on one of them, I started
>>     looking for alternatives.
>>
>>     After playing with KODI on my Android tablet, and satisfying
>>     myself that it was a usable replacement for MythFrontend, I
>>     bought a T8, and I must say it's much better for media only
>>     situations than the REVO. the menus are more responsive, videos
>>     start playing immediately instead of a 2-3 second delay,
>>     scrolling through lists is much faster etc. All in all, I must
>>     say it's a fantastic little box, and only £99 here in the UK.  I
>>     bought mine with the air-mouse, which didn't turn out to be a
>>     good option for the WAF, as they struggle with the mouse mode, so
>>     I'd recommend existing users to stick with the  standard remote
>>     for now. I've configure KODI to use an MSQL database to store
>>     centralised video/music lists, and overall I find it to be very
>>     usable.
>>
>>     My family are still struggling with the fact that it's
>>     "different" from the rest of the frontends, so I plan to just
>>     install KODI on the REVOs and get rid of MythFrontend entirely.
>>     The plan is to use T8s where all that is needed is media / web
>>     browsing / general android like interface, and to keep REVOs for
>>     the kids' desktops where they actually need to login to a Linux
>>     machine for LibreOffice, Firefox etc.
>>
>>     Cheers
>>     Gordon
>>
>> That is a impressive machine.  I have yet to switch my frontends to
>> xbmc but have been considering doing so for some time.
>>

> I use Kodi with mythtv plugin on Raspberry pi 2 on two frontends and
> they perform perfectly, including High Definition. It is difficult to
> beat the price on Raspberry pi 2 (currently $29.99 at micro center).
> Raspberry pi 2 being a linux machine it is far easier for me to
> customize things like menus, network connections for videos, etc.
>
> Peter

Interesting, does the RP2 deal with MPEG-2 OK (I have Freeview DVB
files), and does it have support for 4K?

I'm particularly interested in why it's easier to manage the KODI menus,
network connections etc in Linux than in Android, as I plan to implement
KODI on my REVOs which are Linux based. I was under the impression that
the menus and network stuff in KODI was all done within either the
config file or in KODI itself, at least that's how I've done it.

As a Unix admin of over 30 years, I didn't find it any easier to setup
in Linux than in Android, and the web browsing in Android is many times
faster than under Linux on my REVOs. The other advantage I've found with
Android devices is that you can easily get apps for things like Netflix,
BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4OD, etc etc which simply aren't available on
Linux unfortunately.

Cheers
Gordon