[mythtv-users] USB-Live2 won't work in myth, options for STB capture?

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Wed May 20 12:57:12 UTC 2015

On 20/05/2015 9:24 PM, Robin Gilks wrote:
> t.
>>> Looks like whilst I'm looking for a more permanent solution I could use
>>> the failing HVR2200 in an old PC and set it up as a slave backend. At
>>> least then I don't have to reboot the main server all the time.
>> Or power down when not required for recording.
> Thats true - the machine I'll use is the current master backend. It is
> being retired due to a failing disk as well as the card and it being too
> slow for all the services I keep piling onto it!!
>
> Converting to a slave - not sure what to do about the storage groups as it
> has exactly the same disk layout as the new master will have when it is
> finished.
>
> Do I use mythtv-setup (on the old machine I'm converting) to remove all
> the storage directories or will the directories as currently set now refer
> to the new master once I make it a slave by changing the master IP
> address?
>
> Presumably I should take it off the network, change the master IP address,
> remove all the other cards and the storage groups in mythtv-setup, then
> change the database address in config.xml (and get rid of all the old
> mysql.txt files) and then put it back on the network and THEN start the
> backend up again.
>
> Think I'll make sure all the DVB-T and DVB-S tuners on the new backend are
> fully working before I try this as it looks like it will be difficult to
> change the old one back from a slave to being a master again :(
>
> Looks like grotty weather on Sunday so I can get a good shot at it!

Once you make to "old" master a slave, it gets all its config from the
master.  So it will not know about any local storage until you create a
storage group on the slave backend.

With my setup, (MBE, 2x SBE/FE). the SBE's have only a boot drive, and
mount the recording directories from the MBE via NFSv4 with the exact
same directory structure as the MBE has - (All machines have
/data/sata0/recordings, /data/sata1/recordings, etc), but to enable the
SBE's to record, you need to create a storage group on each SBE with the
storage directories mounted from the MBE

You can create storage groups locally for each SBE, but you will not be
able to access any recordings recorded on the SBE if its switched off,
and myth is not smart enough to automatically wake a sleeping SBE to
access a recording, the MBE will only wake a SBE when it wants it to
record..

Changing a BE from MBE -> SBE -> MBE is really easy.  All you need to do
is modify the config.xml on your old backend.  Point it to your new MBE,
and its a slave.  Point it to itself, and its a MBE again - Its all
dependent on which DB its accessing.