[mythtv-users] Desk Top Power

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Sat May 16 13:21:47 UTC 2015

On May 15, 2015 11:20 PM, "Gary Buhrmaster" <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 8:18 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 4:08 PM, Gordon McCrae <gordon.mccrae at gmail.com>
wrote:
> >> Perhaps I'm missing something here, but why not just spend £10 on an
"Energy
> >> Saving Master Slave Extension Lead".
> >
> > I think that's covered by Daryl's previous response:
> >
> >   A quick look and apparently its not available on this side of the
puddle :-/

> > I took a quick look as well.  None of the units I could find were for
> > North American power.  All the hits seem to be for use in the UK.
>
> I think on this side of the pond, the magic words are
> "autoswitching" and "outlet", although some hits
> were clearly not what you might be interested in,
> some appear to be.

Wow, the enormity of knowledge on this list never ceases to amaze me, many
thanks to all contributors.

My STB is 12 VDC wallwart supply and the switch and HDHR are both 5VDC
wallwart supply, my initial thoughts were snip and wirenut connections with
cords from retired units. my hesitancy comes from warnings that "flaky"
power could damage the HDHR and I assume other components as well.

The relay idea interests me IIUC the power of the PC holds the relay in the
closed position feeding a power bar with my wallwarts plugged in, and opens
when the PC shuts down?