[mythtv-users] Rip or play Blu-Ray

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Fri May 15 02:07:41 UTC 2015

On 05/12/2015 05:11 PM, Jay Foster wrote:
> On 5/12/2015 1:49 PM, Karl Newman wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> My wife mistakenly bought a Blu-Ray-only copy of "Gone with the Wind",
>> and we don't have a Blu-Ray player. I do, however have a Blu-Ray drive
>> in my Myth frontend/backend. Is there a way to rip (preferred) or play
>> Blu-Ray discs in Linux? Yes, I realize players are super cheap now,
>> and that may end up being the solution, but I'd like to try to make it
>> work. In general, how are people ripping them (regardless of
>> platform)? MakeMKV?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Karl
>>

> Two thumbs up for MakeMKV.  As a bonus, with MakeMKV, your movie will
> start playing right away.  No waiting for menus to load like with a BD
> player.
> Jay

I agree with what everyone else says about MakeMKV rips and MythTV
playing them.

While the "start playing right away" thing is a feature of sorts, as far
as I can tell there is no way to access bonus features etc. that are in
the menus.  Can anyone recommend a way to get to a BD menu if that is
desired?