[mythtv-users] Wrong Channel when recording?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 14 15:38:28 UTC 2015

On 05/14/2015 11:27 AM, Roger Martensson wrote:

> Den 14 maj 2015 17:02 skrev "Michael T. Dean":
>
>> If, however, you want to be able to record shows and most of the time
>> record off the HDTV one, but you will accept a recording off the SDTV
>> one when "necessary", use a current version of MythTV (0.27-fixes)
>> and specify channel priorities (with either a negative channel
>> priority on the SDTV channel or a positive channel priority on the
>> HDTV channel).  Note that channel priority is not tuner priority, nor
>> scheduler order, nor Live TV order.  It's channel priority.
> This is what I have done except that I have "collapsed" the channels.
> So with my new understanding learnt above I should "uncollapse" my
> SD/HD combination.

You don't need to uncollapse the channels if you're using channel
priority with current MythTV.  MythTV will schedule the recording, then
look to see that one channel has higher priority and then attempt to
choose that channel.

Having the same call sign means that you can not, however, say, "Record
this showing" or create "this channel" rules that specify to only record
the show from the HDTV channel.  Therefore, if you leave the call signs
identical and use channel priorities, MythTV will attempt to record from
the HDTV channel.  However, when your favorite show airs, you cannot
say, "Record from the HDTV channel even if it means that I'll miss
something else" because a "this channel" rule would apply to both channels.

You still have both options, but must decide whether you need the
ability to control which channel is used for recording future shows.  If
so, you will need to have separate call signs.  If you want to control
which channel is tuned in Live TV, you'll need separate channel numbers.

Mike