[mythtv-users] H264 conversion of interlaced MPEG2?

Jay Foster jayf0ster at roadrunner.com
Tue May 12 15:02:04 UTC 2015

On 5/11/2015 6:49 PM, Michael Stucky wrote:

> On May 11, 2015 4:17 PM, "Jay Foster" <jayf0ster at roadrunner.com
> <mailto:jayf0ster at roadrunner.com>> wrote:
> >
> > On 5/11/2015 12:46 PM, Michael Stucky wrote:
> >>
> <deletia>
> >> Sorry for the delay, it was a busy weekend+... I am not an ffmpeg
> expert so all the syntax came either from the original shell script or
> searches for a better way to deinterlace. But I have done some
> additional searching and testing have updated my script on the wiki
> accordingly.
> >>
> >> "yadif=1" has become "yadif=0:-1:1" (mode 0 = one frame out for one
> frame in, parity -1 = autodetect, and deint 1 = only deinterlace
> frames marked as interlaced). "sws_flags spline" is removed (only
> applies when scaling content?). "-r 60000/1001" is removed (this
> actually caused every frame to be duplicated for interlaced content).
> "threads 0" is removed (the h264 encoder uses all available threads by
> default). "-c:a copy" replaced with "-strict -2" to use the internal
> AAC encoder.
> >>
> >> This works and produces good quality output for all my content,
> 1080i, 720p, and 480i all OTA to HDHomerun tuners.
> >>
> >> Mike
> >>

> > I took a look at the script on the wiki and had a question.  Does
> this break commercial skipping?  The script does not appear to
> reschedule a commflag job after the transcoding.
> > Jay
> >

> The script was designed to prepare a recording for export to the Video
> Library where it can be played by different players/devices (vlc,
> mplayer, android, ios, etc.). As such commercial skipping wasn't a
> consideration. The script will remove a cutlist if it exists (so
> leaders/trailers/commercials should all be automatically removed
> before the transcoding takes place).
>
> If it is helpful, please take the script and modify it to do what you
> want it to and create a new wiki page for your script so we all can
> benefit from it!
>
> Mike

My thinking was that this script was meant as a user job to be run after
a TV recording is made to convert the MPEG2 recording to H.264 for the
purpose of viewing these recordings on a low powered device like an
Android tablet.  My concern here was that it would auto remove
commercials based on commflagging (not good, since the commflagging is
not good enough to just auto cut) or that it would not preserve the
commflagging (so there would be no commercial skipping watching the
transcoded recording).  If this was not the purpose of the script then
never mind.

How does one watch recordings on a tablet then?  I tried the android
Mythtv frontend and Mythtv viewer apps, but could not get them to play
any recordings.  I came to the conclusion that all recordings had to be
pre-transcoded first, which is what I thought this script was all about.

Jay