[mythtv-users] MythWeb: ASX stream or direct download (over ADSL)?

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Mon May 11 19:35:24 UTC 2015

On Mon, 11 May 2015, dennis wrote:

> I have turned on password protection for mythweb in Apache and having an
> issue when I try to stream the asx files.
>
> I thought the player would prompt for credentials needed to access the ASX
> file from the server, but that doesn't happen. However, if I do modify the
> ASX file manually by adding the login/password to the URL, it streams just
> fine.

I'm gathering from what I read at the forum postings found at
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1996749.html and
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1486097.html that additional
credential entry, once the asx link has been clicked on in the MythWeb
interface, is handled by the player that's been configured to deal with
the stream. I infer from those posts that vlc handles the additional
credential entry just fine. I have not tried vlc and cannot confirm that
this interpretation is correct, since vlc is not installed on my portable
(laptop) test-rig. I have, however, tried playing the asx stream with
gmplayer and smplayer, which, according to my tests, seem not to handle
the additional credential entry. Anyone else have input on this issue?