[mythtv-users] mysql filling up hard drive

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun May 10 17:20:12 UTC 2015

On 05/09/2015 02:15 AM, Scott Moncrieff wrote:

> Thank you, I will start digging! And thank you for all your efforts to
> help.
>
> 6 months ago when I  had problems with my old system I realized how
> much the family relied on it which is why I tried to build so much
> redundancy into this one, but you can't plan for everything!
>
> On my old system, deleting a recording only removed it from the
> recordings list,   not the drive so it kept filling up. Once a week I
> ran a script I wrote that used  mythlink to create a list of files
> marked as deleted and then follow the symlinks to actually delete
> them. I wonder if I just imported a problem database into my new system.
>
> Thanks again!

No need to manually delete deleted recordings--after all, you deleted them.

MythTV will automatically expire them as soon as it needs space.  If you
don't like leaving them there (i.e. you feel that unused space isn't
wasted space--even though it is ;), just set the

Time to retain deleted recordings (days)
Determines the maximum number of days before undeleting a recording will
become impossible. A value of zero means the recording will be
permanently deleted between 5 and 20 minutes later. A value of minus one
means recordings will be retained until space is required. A recording
will always be removed before this time if the space is needed for a new
recording.

to an appropriate value (i.e. 0 or 1 or whatever).

If you're working hard to make your MythTV work for you, you're probably
doing/configuring something wrong. ;)

Mike