[mythtv-users] better scheduling options through MythWeb?

Peter Schriver peterschriver at charter.net
Thu May 7 16:45:57 UTC 2015

On 05/07/2015 12:13 PM, Karl Newman wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 8:15 AM, Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com
> <mailto:dick at dicksteffens.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 05/07/2015 08:07 AM, Doug Lytle wrote:
>
>                 On May 7, 2015, at 10:46 AM, James Miller wrote:
>                 I'd like to ask in closing whether others on this list
>                 find scheduling
>                 recordings through MythWeb to be more versatile and
>                 usable than scheduling
>                 them through the frontend?
>
>         For me, the answer would be yes.
>
>         I've always scheduled through mythweb, so much easier to do
>         then using a remote.  It's my preferred method, so I have very
>         little experience with using mythfrontend for scheduling.
>
>         Doug
>

>     I, too, always program with MythWeb. When I first began using
>     MythTV a year and a few months ago, I wasn't aware of MythWeb, and
>     did programming through the front end. MythWeb is far more
>     convenient. I'm hoping the new web server will be as convenient.
>     I'm not inclined to upgrade to version 0.28 until I've heard some
>     experiences from braver folk.
>

> Another here, too. I like Mythweb because everything's on one page, no
> poking through multiple menus to find what I need. By the way, the
> frontend has all the same options as Mythweb (maybe more?), but they
> may not be obvious to you. One key thing to look for is Filters (under
> Schedule Options I think).
>
> One quirk that I observed with Mythweb--if you enable a filter that
> doesn't match the selected program and then save it, it will refresh
> with "Do not record this program" and it will look like it failed, but
> there is actually a recording rule created for it. For example, I mark
> our subscribed premium channels as Commercial Free, and when I see a
> listing for a movie that I want to record, I'll create a rule for it
> and select the "Commercial Free" filter. However, if the program I
> clicked on to create the rule is NOT on a Commercial Free channel,
> then it will refresh the program and look like it didn't save my
> changes (I've ended up with multiple duplicate recording rules because
> I kept trying different things until I realized what was going on).
> It's probably a small bug in Mythweb where saving a rule should
> redirect to show the rule, not the program.
>
> Karl

I only use Mythweb. I prefer Kodi as my FE. My ideal setup is a
rock-solid, headless Myth BE with a web ui. I don't mind if the back-end
does commercial skipping, meta-data or transcoding but I really want it
to be stable. Storage would be on a NAS. Front-ends would be configured
with Kodi and customized for the different users.

Pete