[mythtv-users] mythtv-setup --- Does a CLI Exist?

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Wed May 6 19:31:30 UTC 2015

On 06/05/15 20:59, Eric Sharkey wrote:

>> Try working over a slow internet connection on a parent's myth system, you'll pull your hair out if you need to run mythtv-setup.
>
> Compression helps a lot in these cases.
>
> ssh -C -X mythbackend mythtv-setup

Yes, it does, if bandwidth is the problem. But in many cases latency is
(also) part of the problem, in which case you need to tackle bufferbloat
at the bottleneck link. This is probably either your or the far end's
broadband connection.

See [1] for an example script to be run on the broadband router
(assuming it runs a Linux variant and a reasonably recent kernel).

A good starting point is to set it to 90% of your up and downlink
speeds. Then iteratively use [2] until you have an A or A+ bufferbloat
rating (which you might only be able to see after you click the "Results
+ Share" button that appears after the test completes.

[1]: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Traffic_shaping
[2]: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest