[mythtv-users] H264 conversion of interlaced MPEG2?

Michael Wisniewski mikewiz38 at gmail.com
Wed May 6 19:06:25 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 9:03 PM, Dave MythTV <dave.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> Michael Wisniewski:
> Thanks for the script.  I'm certainly not tied to ffmpeg, so if something
> else works better that would be fine with me.  Not being familiar with
> HandBrakeCLI, it doesn't look like your script does anything specific to
> manage the deinterlacing.  Does HandBrake do this automatically?  (In
> particular, does HandBrake do it the "nice" way automatically, instead of
> ffmpeg's default of just copying fields with artifacts into a progressive
> container?)

Dave,

So I'm not a handbrake expert and I found the script elsewhere and just
updated it for the newest version of handbrake and myth.  My commandline
doesn't include anything for deinterlacing, but according to handbrake's
help, it does.  By default, it's suppose to do "yadiff with 1-pass spatial
deinterlace".  I also want to say that default is also to selectively
deinterlace when it detects combing.

I will say that my one TV that plays all the videos makes them look fine,
but I've never really had issues with interlace/deinterlace on that TV.  I
would suggest checking out handbrake though because, IMHO, ffmpeg has too
many options and variables that can either make it look awesome or make it
look horrible.