[mythtv-users] H264 conversion of interlaced MPEG2?

Michael Wisniewski mikewiz38 at gmail.com
Tue May 5 12:32:34 UTC 2015

On Sun, May 3, 2015 at 4:46 PM, Dave MythTV <dave.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> I'm running some tests, preparing to reconfigure my backend to transcode
> certain shows from US-broadcast ATSC MPEG2 to H264 for hardware accelerated
> playback on our various portable devices.  In doing this, I've been
> experimenting with Mike Stucky's user job script:
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Transcode_Mpeg2_to_H264
>

> However, I've hit a snag...  If I run this script on an MPEG2 file with
> interlaced SD content, MythTV no longer recognizes the resulting H264 file
> as being interlaced, and playback in the MythTV frontend shows interlacing
> artifacts.
>
> I know I could modify Mike's script to specifically deinterlace the
> content before or during the H264 conversion... but I didn't think this
> would have been necessary?   Shouldn't it be possible to convert interlaced
> MPEG2 to interlaced H264, and continue using the frontend's deinterlacer?
>

> Additional information:
> 'mediainfo' detects the input MPEG2 file as being interlaced, but shows
> the output H264 file as being progressive scan.  So I think this might be
> an issue with the ffmpeg conversion flagging (or encoding) the
> non-deinterlaced output as progressive... and not an issue with MythTV's
> player?

I have a HDHR Prime box with my cable provider broadcasting mpeg2 content
that is sometimes HD and sometimes SD, depending on the channel.  I wanted
to transcode the files into h264 so that it can play on other devices and
also shrink the file size a bit.  It seems like many scripts out there
don't work that well...or I just didn't have luck getting them to work.  My
script below works great for me, but it uses handbrake instead of ffmpeg.
Also, I am using the "7149svnppa1~trusty1" version of Handbrake.  I don't
know if you're requiring the use of ffmpeg, but you might want to check
this out.  I also didn't write the original.  I want to say the original
was from a mythroku transcode script, but I just took it and modified it a
bit.

http://pastebin.com/4HJZWUvZ