[mythtv-users] FE Stop/Restart for Smooth Playback

jim jim_32766 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 28 16:29:21 UTC 2015

On 03/28/2015 11:51 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:

>>> I do not have this problem, my FE can be on for weeks or months at a
>>> time. But
>>> I have nvidia graphics, where I assume you use VAAPI.
>>>
>>> I would recommend starting by comparing the log file for a recording
>>> that
>>> plays fine with that of one that does not to see what the
>>> differences are.
>>>
>> If the difference were vaapi wouldn't the problem be present all the
>> time? I
>> wonder if something else running on my system contributes, or if the
>> OS (Mint
>> 17.1) is involved. What OS are you running?
>> I will also check the log file for a recording playback pre/post FE
>> start/stop.
>>
> Any problem like this doesn't automatically have to be continuous. For
> example, different programs may have different bit rates/frame
> rates/screen formats. These can impose differing demands on the video
> driver and hardware.
>
> The same also goes for audio, incidentally. If the audio encoding
> changes mid transmission - say for a commercial break - then that
> might cause buffering problems which could affect the vodeo.
>
> As Mark wrote above, your best bet is to look at the logs, a segment
> which works and a segment which is bad.

I use recorded Jeopardy! episodes for testing as the panning of
categories in Jeopardy! makes for a great test of smooth motion in
playback. When I test I use the same exact recording, pre and post FE
stop/start. The FE stop/start completely fixes the problem for some
inexact period of time. I've not done a good log comparison between a
smooth playback and a jerky one, and will do so as soon as the problems
appears again.

I've never noticed a situation wherein the smoothness is better/worse
before/after a commercial break. I've experimented with SD and HD and
the full range of standard frame rates. None of that seems to stress the
system. If the FE has been recently stopped/started all combinations are
good. The problem behaves more like a buffer/cache issue that builds
over time and eventually causes a problem. Why FE stop/start helps I do
not know.

I really appreciate the time people contribute on this mail list
answering questions. It really helps. Thanks.