[mythtv-users] USB DVB-T2 tuners

Simon Waldman lists at firecloud.org.uk
Sat Mar 28 11:11:03 UTC 2015

On 26 March 2015 at 11:28, Ian Oliver <lists at foxhill.co.uk> wrote:

> So, do you remove all the SD channels from the HD source, and also the
> corresponding SD channel from the SD source? I'm musing that the latter
> will
> prevent people recording BBC1 SD when they wanted HD?

My advice, after having mixed SD & HD tuners on UK freeview for some time:

- Two video sources, one for SD and one for HD.
- The HD source has all channels, and the SD source has all SD channels
- Put the SD tuner(s) higher in the order of use for recording than the HD
tuner(s)
- Make sure that HD programmes have a higher scheduling priority than their
SD mirrors. There's an option somewhere to automatically increase the
priority of programmes that are flagged as HD. If you have an HD channel
whose listings don't flag it's programmes as HD (one of the ITV ones used
to do this, but I think is now fixed), then you can increase the scheduling
priority for that channel by a small amount. I suggest just increasing the
priority by 1 or 2 for HD, and 10+ when giving your actual priorities for
what you'd like to see recorded - this means that you'll get the HD version
rather than an SD version where possible, but it won't interfere with
prioritising conflicts.

Then it should Just Work. HD programmes will be selected over their SD
versions due to the higher scheduling priority. They are only available
from the HD video source, so that works. Things that aren't available in HD
will be recorded in SD, and the SD tuners will be used first for that,
leaving the HD ones free. If you want to record more HD things at once than
you allow virtual tuners, then you may find that you get one of them in SD,
but IME that's rare (and if your storage can cope, you could always
increase the number of HD virtual tuners).

Hope that helps.

--
Simon Waldman
swaldman at firecloud.org.uk