[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu question

Fred Hamilton fred at yonkitime.com
Fri Mar 27 19:32:55 UTC 2015

I'm currently running Mythbuntu 0.28 / 14.04.  I'd like to do a clean
install starting with 15.04 (want the newer linux core for its enhanced
btrfs support).  I also use the machine as an Ubuntu Desktop.

In the past, I've installed Mythbuntu and used Mythbuntu Control Centre to
add the Ubuntu Desktop "role".  But I've occasionally had configuration/use
issues (relating to some combination of gdm/lightdm and gnome/xfce/kde and
auto-login) that made me think it's not exactly a "standard" Ubuntu
install, i.e. the fixes for my problems were different than the fixes were
for people with the same version vanilla Ubuntu).  But I really like the
MythTV "environment" controlled by Mythbuntu Control Centre.  Also when I
try to upgrade distributions it just flat-out fails.

So I'm thinking I will install the standard Ubuntu 15.04, then add
Mythbuntu Control Centre/Myth after that.

My question is: Is there anything wrong with that plan (like I'll miss some
feature of Mythbuntu)?  Or am I just wasting my time and I should just
install Mythbuntu 15.04 to begin with?