[mythtv-users] Random Hard Frontend Lockups

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Mar 26 22:14:19 UTC 2015

On 26/03/15 04:49 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
,
>A few thoughts and questions:
>
> Don't be sure it won't be the keyboard. Last year I have diagnosed
> weird behavior, especially round boot time to an occasional hanging
> key on a keyboard. Although unlikely it's worth it, to tryout with
> another keyboard.

I will try going back to the old keyboard. I doubt that it is the
problem, though, as generally the keyboard is not powered on. One of the
things I liked about the new keyboard, is that it actually has a power
switch. Until about a month ago, I doubt that I used the keyboard more
than once a month during the prior year... I only switched to be able to
get rid of the mouse!

> What do you mean by:
>> I am now getting random hard lockups of the front end. The backend
>> continues to run, and recordings are made as scheduled, But the system
>> is totally unresponsive.
>
> Are they both running on the same system?

Yes: Combined BE/FE

> For if recordings then are
> still made, it is only the frontend proccess or X or the videocard
I doubt the video-card: which is a Hauppauge 2250 used for ATSC only. It
has continued to record throughout, as has the HDHomeRun.
Yes, frontend or X....

> If so, can you still access the system through a text console
NO
  or ssh?
NO
> Can you still ping the system?
NO.  Times out
> If you run mythweb, can you still access it?
NO
> Can you still access the default web interface on ports 6544(backend),
> 6547(frontend)?
NO
> If you use nfs or samba, can you still access those?
I don't use either of those.

As I noted, it is a HARD lock. When a script goes haywire on firefox,
there is usually *SOME* responsiveness. It may take a couple of minutes
for the mouse pointer to respond but eventually I can usually get to a
console, and get it open and 'killall firefox' or whatever.
But in the mythbox freeze instances, EVERYTHING up front is frozen hard.

I *am* beginning to think it may be a memory fault, in the space where X
or the frontend will always reside. (ie: 'above' the backend/mysql
processes which are started before X is launched.)

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury
            Barrister and Solicitor