[mythtv-users] NTSC USB tuners: which ones are out there?

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Thu Mar 26 13:57:59 UTC 2015

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015, Saul wrote:

> I think I saw your post on Gentoo forums. You did not enable all
> drivers for your tuner, so it is not working.
> Or you got it working and you do not like it?

Thanks for your response, Saul. I have posted on the Gentoo forums, yes.
And no, I did not yet get the KWorld USB ATSC TV Stick working, if that's
the hardware you're referring to. But my issues with getting the KWorld
USB ATSC TV Stick UB435-Q V3 working are NOT what has led me to conclude
that I likely bought the wrong tuning hardware: rather, it is to the
HDHR4-2US that I also bought and that seems to be fully operational, that
I refer when I speak of having bought the wrong hardware. Let me explain.

It looks as though I got clear QAM and NTSC confused as I went about
determining what hardware I would need to bring in certain cable
broadcasting that we still care to watch. There are a few SD stations on
cable (TWC--NatGeo, History Channel, Animal Planet and maybe a couple
others) from which we wish to record, and the HDHR4-2US does not pick them
up when I do a channel scan. On subsequent reflection, I believe it won't
pick them up because they broadcast in NTSC (which the HDHR4-2US does not
handle, as I understand it) rather than in clear QAM--the latter of which
the HDHR4-2US does handle.

All these differing broadcast standards are supremely confusing to
me--even more so when you drag in the encryption factor--and I may well be
wrong in my understanding of what is at issue. But if I have it more or
less right, then it is true that I bought the wrong hardware when I
purchased this HDHR4-2US. The KWorld USB ATSC TV Stick UB435-Q V3 should
perform its intended function just fine once I've gotten things tuned
right in the OS, but it was bought for the purpose of bringing in ATSC,
OTA broadcasting. So I currently do NOT believe I made a mistake in
purchasing it. It should serve my needs acceptably once I've gotten issues
with its detection and initialization sorted out. No mistake there, I
believe.