[mythtv-users] who runs backend, mythtv-setup

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Mar 25 21:32:51 UTC 2015

On 25/03/15 21:10, Thomas Mashos wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 1:54 PM James Miller <gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Found the following in the (somewhat dated) MythTV article on the Arch
>> wiki:
>>
>> Security
>>
>> You may want to have the backend run as the previously-created mythtv
>> user:
>>
>> This is a good idea since all user jobs are run as the same user as the
>> user running the backend. If the backend is run as root, all user jobs
>> will be run with root privileges.
>>
>>       Edit /etc/conf.d/mythbackend
>>
>> MBE_USER='mythtv'
>>
>> So, is it better to have the mythtv user run the BE, like they advise? Is
>> editing that file in that way still the right way to ensure that this
>> happens, if so?
>>
>> Also, as I recall it was root or an account with heightened privileges
>> that would run mythtv-setup under Mythbuntu, if memory serves. Is that
>> correct?
>

> No, Mythbuntu runs mythtv-setup as the current user. It does ask for admin
> privileges if it finds mythbackend running so it can stop mythbackend.
>
> Mythbuntu also starts mythbackend as root, but passes the parameter for
> mythbackend to drop privileges to the mythtv user.

On my Debian systems I run setup as a normal user. The backend when installed
will run under the mythtv user. I don't think anything runs as root these days.

I have a alternate front end I use for casual viewing and editing and that runs
as my normal user. Assuming you have your config.xml set up correctly I don't
think it matters.

--

Mike Perkins