[mythtv-users] USB DVB-T2 tuners

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Wed Mar 25 19:28:50 UTC 2015

On 25/03/2015 18:35, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 25/03/15 17:12, Damian wrote:
>> On 25/03/2015 15:49, Ian Oliver wrote:
>>> I've been using four Hauppauge Nove-T DVB-T sticks for many years, and
>>> they have been rock solid.
>>>
>>> I'm now building a new backend and want to go HD.
>>>
>>> 1) The setup when mixing SD and HD tuners looked tricky (UK Freeview if
>>> it matters) but maybe I should bite the bullet and just do it?
>>> 2) I have one Hauppauge PCTV 290e, and went to buy more, but they have
>>> been replaced with the 292e. Is the 290e available anywhere still?
>>> 3) I've seen reports on this list regards issues with the 292e and
>>> mythtv. Have these been fixed in the latest 14.04 LTS or should I just
>>> avoid the 292e?
>>> 4) Any other USB DVB-T2 tuners that I should look at?
>>> 5) Or are any of the quad tuner PCI-e cards worth looking at? I was
>>> one, and did some searching, but people seemed to be having issues.
>>> (Oh, and I only have one PCI-e slot!).
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Ian
>> This is exactly what I want to know! :-)
>>
>> I've just updated my projector to HD, so want to make the most of any
>> available
>> HD channels.
>>
>> I'm a little disturbed by the description of mixing SD and HD tuners
>> being
>> 'tricky'! Things that you guys describe as tricky is probably way out
>> of my league.
>>
>> I don't think that my micro-server has any free internal slots, so
>> it's USB
>> solutions I'm interested in.
>>
>> Going to be very interested in the advice that comes from this thread.
>>
>> How 'tricky' is having a combination of SD and HD tuners? And can the
>> SD tuners
>> be simply replaced by HD ones, or do they not pick up the SD channels?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Damian
>>
> If you're in the UK, which I believe your email address indicates, it
> isn't tricky at all.
>
> All the HD channels are put together in one multiplex, except in certain
> regions where they are split between two or perhaps more.
>
> So, you just need a 290/292 for each of the HD multiplexes you get and
> ordinary SD tuners, say hauppauge, for the others.
>
> Some people have one tuner per multiplex, but you don't need that
> overkill unless you're recording a serious amount of TV for your huge
> family. Two is enough for me, together with one 290e for the HD.
> Strangely enough, I have found the quality of the SD channels to be good
> enough, the 290e hardly ever gets used.

Thanks for this Mike,

I get the Mendip transmitter. Just had a look and most HD is through one
multiplex. A few '+1' channels and CBeebies is on another multiplex.

I've had 'complaints' from the family since upgrading the projector that
the 'TV looks rubbish now'. It looks ok to me, but hopefully adding some
HD in there will help.

I've managed for years with just two standard USB tuners, so shouldn't
need many.

Should I buy two 290/292's and get rid of the SD tuners (as the
290/292's are supposed to get SD too aren't they)? Or keep the SD ones
and just add one 290/29?

Cheers,
Damian