[mythtv-users] Understanding the Jitterometer

jim jim_32766 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 24 20:06:59 UTC 2015

I have reviewed the jitterometer data in var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log
and the reported FPS, Mean, and Std. Deviation. Having only the one
system and no previous experience with Mythtv I don't know what to make
of the numbers. Does anyone know what is good or bad when it comes to
these metrics? Also, does the jitterometer always generate a report when
watching live TV or only when there is some difference between the
broadcast rate and the playback rate? For example, I've notice that when
reviewing the Menu->Playback->Playback Data information during live tv I
sometimes see Video 1280x720 at 59.94 while FPS is at 60.02 (and varying
slightly). Should these numbers match? Is a small delta "ok" or "expected"?