[mythtv-users] MythtTV on Gentoo: resources?

Rich Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Tue Mar 24 10:47:52 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 4:25 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Use a simple window manager for your frontend. I use evilwm. If you
> use gnome you will get pulseaudio and worse systemd.
> If you use the proprietary nvidia drivers, be sure to have your kernel
> clean of drm and kms when you compile it, else you get opengl mixups.
> (nvidia will partially link against loaded modules!)
> This means initially install the kernel with only ancient vesa
> framebuffer support when you pull in nvidia.
> If you want I can sent you my back and frontend start scripts.

Some of this depends on the nature of the box.  If you're running
mythfrontend on a desktop-oriented box, then for the most part you
just install it and launch it like any application and it generally
just works.  If you want something that you're sticking in your living
room and controlling with a remote control, then you need to get it to
auto-launch and set up lirc/etc.  Gentoo already includes scripts to
simplify this, and I've gotten this working both with openrc and
systemd fairly easily.  In such a configuration I wouldn't use any
window manager at all, unless you're doing something other than mythtv
as well.  You can just launch mythtv full-screen directly under X11
and it is designed to work just fine.

I'm curious as to why you're using anything special for your backend -
the init.d script and systemd units should work just fine out of the
box, though depending on your logging preferences you might want to
fiddle with them (mythlogserver is supposed to go away in the future I
believe, so I'd probably avoid it if starting out fresh and the
systemd default config does not use it now).

Nvidia does need some special care.  I use a stock kernel with kms on
my Radeon box, and I do just what you say on my Nvidia box.

--
Rich  (I maintain mythtv on Gentoo - always open to feedback)