[mythtv-users] python

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Mon Mar 23 16:07:17 UTC 2015

On 23/03/15 15:05, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 23/03/15 11:28, Yianni wrote:
>>>
>>> Earlier in this thread Hika suggested checking config.xml. I think the
>>> LocalHostName there should be the same as the one defined in the
>>> frontend setup, General, page 2. It is for me, and that part of
>>> mythburn.py works as is; FE/BE boxes, master, sl7 and ubuntu trusty.
>>> But you may well have more complex storage structures; I'm surrounded
>>> by piles of myth DVDs...
>>
>> The value of LocalHostName is correct, but I was still getting the
>> errors until edited the python scripts.
>>
>> I specifically added the LocalHostname value when between opensuse
>> updates the uname -n command started showing the fqdn.
>>
>> I think it's the second time I'm using mytharchive, both times asked
>> by friends to provide dvds of shows they missed. The first time was in
>> 2009ish if I remember correctly...
>> One of the main reasons i use mythtv is I don't trust disks (or my
>> kids...)
>>
> I think the problem in the python bindings is a bit more general, but
> regrettably I haven't had any time to look at the problem - and I don't
> speak python, so it would be a long job.
>
> Bearing in mind the various problems I have had running different mythtv
> scripts and falling down at odd points, I believe the issue is that
> somewhere in the bindings something is calling gethostname() where it
> should be calling DB.gethostname().
>
> Mostly everything works as it should when the hostname is the single
> word by which you name the host; I have also suffered from occasions
> when upgrades to the OS have changed that to be the FQDN.
>
> So I set LocalHostName to be the FQDN in every case in my systems. I
> /still/ get back errors where the myth programs are looking for a bare
> hostname. This to me indicates that certain functions are not
> referencing the database as they should, but instead issuing a system call.

I'm always apprehensive when I have to fiddle with 'hostnames' after the
initial setup.  I haven't consulted the wiki about it recently but there
used to be some fairly arcane procedures there.

FWIW my config.xml (sl7) has:

<Configuration>
   <LocalHostName>hpbox</LocalHostName>
   <Database>
     <PingHost>1</PingHost>
     <Host>localhost</Host>
     <UserName>mythtv</UserName>
     <Password>xxxx</Password>
     <DatabaseName>mythconverg</DatabaseName>
     <Port>3306</Port>
   </Database>.....

...and the response to the 'hostname' command is intentionally different
from either of the two names above.

John P