[mythtv-users] OS X Installer Updated - March 2015

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Mon Mar 23 12:21:16 UTC 2015

At 10:21 PM -0400 3/22/15, George Nassas wrote:
>On Mar 22, 2015, at 10:49 AM, Craig Treleaven
><<mailto:ctreleaven at cogeco.ca>ctreleaven at cogeco.ca>
>wrote:
>
>>The plist files always sit in
>>'/Library/LaunchDaemons/' but don't do anything
>>until the 'launchctl load ...' command.
>>

>This is incorrect. I just created a script to
>touch some files in /tmp, a launchd config in
>/Library/LaunchDaemons to start it, didn't run
>launchctl, rebooted, and sure enough it ran.
>That matches what it says in the Apple document
>I link above under "The launchd Startup
>Process", in the launchd.info site you mention
>under "Automatic Loading of Job Definitions",
>and also my personal experience. The
>launchd.info site does describe an override
>database which I wasn't aware of so good find.

Yikes, you are right!  The only thing I can offer
in my defense is that most good-citizen launchd
plists include the following key:

If so, they behave (sort of) as I described.  At
boot, launchd _does_ look at the plist but
doesn't load the job.  That said, my mythbackend
plist is not a good-citizen (which I'll correct
immediately) and will be loaded at the next
reboot.  I reboot so seldom that I never made the
connection.

Note that most MacPorts packages (that need a
launchd plist) DO include the Disabled key.  Eg
mariadb-server, apache2, logrotate, etc.  They
all use a facility in MacPorts to automatically
manage the plist.  mythtv-core.27 doesn't use
that facility as it only supports one daemon per
port--in 0.26, I need two in order to run
mythlogserver as well as mythbackend.  I thought
I might supply another in the future to run
mythjobqueue (and friends).

Thanks for setting me straight, George.

Craig