[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi as a slave backend server

Dave MythTV dave.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 21:27:19 UTC 2015

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 3:20 PM, Jay Harbeston <jharbestonus at gmail.com>
wrote:

> server and have had generally good results with caveats.

> tuner so only 1 recording)
> part.

> consistently be TFW taking to long errors.

> masterbackend with the above conditions. I didn’t try multiple streams off
> the same real channel, but I suspicion the Pi 2 would be able to handle it.

> Over the air broadcast stations in the area and so I didn’t even try to
> configure the analog side.

> wireless adapter)?
> 1?  Such as, whether the TFW errors with the Pi 1 were related to the CPU
> USB system?  (Since it kept up OK with standard definition streams, I'm
> wondering if the Pi 1 might be sufficient as a high-definition slave
> backend if it recorded directly to a small local USB hard drive, or even to
> its own SD card, and then did a non-realtime NFS data transfer back to the
> master backend when the tuner was idle?)

> multiple tuners on the Pi 2!

> >> I am using raspbian off the noobs image.
> >>
> >> You are correct, I just used wired network. I didn’t even want to try
> going wireless.
> >>
> >> I didn’t even try experimenting using a local usb drive as that
> wouldn’t fit my usage scenario, so are still all good questions.
> >>
> >> I will be staying with a single USB tuner for my needs, and Since I
> started using the RPi 2 configured as above, I have had no TFW errors since
> starting to use it!
> >>
> >> I have no plans whatsoever to try to use an RPi of any kind as a
> frontend, however, they are very insteresting as a remote backend like I am
> using. The pi 2 plus the hauppauge USB tuner are only using around 7 watts
> while recording!
> >>
> >> By the Way, I noticed I goofed above when I said it was a viable master
> backend. I meant to say it is a viable SLAVE backend.
> >>
> >> An experiment I might try sometime in the future is to have an RPi as a
> masterbackend ONLY with no tuners(just define a dummy recorder). No
> immediate plans to try that tho yet.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >>

> > Thanks for the reply.
> >
> > Remind me again what your usage scenario is?
> >

> I needed a remote tuner as you spoke about however I do have wired network
> available. I don't think wireless will work very well.
> >
> > I'm considering a possible usage for myself with a remote slave backend
> up in the attic, on a wi-fi connection, to allow for separate tuners
> directly connected to separate directional antennas aimed at some of our
> fringe stations from nearby cities.   Being co-located up in the attic
> would allow the USB tuners to be directly connected to the antennas
> (effectively 6 inches or less of coax), minimizing the cable loss and
> removing the need for multiple additional long coax runs (and possibly
> pre-amps) to the master backend/frontend in the living room.
> >
> > The Raspberry Pi would seem to be a good candidate for this, but if I
> end up needing two or more Pi 2s to handle the separate tuners
> [...]
For my case, the fringe stations, the HDHR has a number of things against
it.    The older units had dual tuners with two independent RF inputs,
which is great, but they were known for having lower tuner sensitivity.
The newer units have better / more sensitive tuners, but have a single RF
input and an internal splitter which knocks down the signal.   For these
fringe stations, I'll need every last db of signal I can get - which means
two large directional antennas pointing two different directions and
nothing else but a low-noise preamp in the path.  Plus, the HDHomeRuns take
a lot more power and cost more (and I would need two), and I would have to
either run ethernet up to the attic, or set up a separate wifi bridge with
a local switch.   So.. not really practical.  :-)

I know you said the Pi 1 couldn't do a HD stream in your setup, but that
was pushing the data out over the network with NFS in real-time.   I'm
still thinking/wondering if it might be possible with local storage to the
SD card when recording, and a deferred non-real-time NFS transfer when the
tuner is idle.   That should halve the loading on the Pi's USB bus, and
significantly reduce the system processing load when recording.   I just
don't know if it would be enough...

Thanks
- Dave