[mythtv-users] PCTV 292e not being detected by mythtv-setup

Simon Paterson simon.paterson.nz at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 10:51:02 UTC 2015

On 20/03/15 22:40, Tim Draper wrote:
> good point; i do use the closed source TBS drivers. I forgot it interfered with /lib/modules/.../ would this be one to refer to TBS rather than linux-media?
> maybe theres a way around it - simply copy the required mods /lib/modules/.../ from an untainted-by-TBS fedora host, for the 292e modules?
>
> Would the opensource TBS drivers work around this or do they still have the same problem?
Hopefully I'll know more in a day or two once I've looked my setup here,
but I'd say TBS are to _blame_ by shipping outdated drivers in their
source bundle. From what I briefly saw, there could be abi / version
issues between the various snared / dependant modules (tuner, demod,
etc), with just copying the binary modules. I'm thinking to instead
identify what modules my existing cards need, and compare / copy those
from the kernel source into the tbs tree, then build / install the tbs
tree again.

An alternate path, which I didn't realise existed until after I started
this, is the open-source drivers for TBS cards
https://github.com/ljalves/linux_media/wiki. The table there states
support for the 6981 is 'working / in kernel'. Presumably that means
merged into the mainline kernel source, but I haven't checked when /
what kernel version that is from. Others on the list may know more about
this..

Anyway, I'll know more once I have had time this weekend to look at my
setup.