[mythtv-users] PCTV 292e not being detected by mythtv-setup

Simon Paterson simon.paterson.nz at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 09:33:11 UTC 2015

On 20/03/15 04:03, Tim Draper wrote:
> i found http://blog.palosaari.fi/2014/04/naked-hardware-15-pctv-triplestick-292e.html, but even after putting the .fw files into the firmware dir and a reboot, still no /dev/dvb/ adapter appears for the 292e.
> my TBS-6981 sat card is getting an adapter assigned and mythtv is happy so definately something specific i'm missing..
I may be mistaken on this, but thought I should mention it.

Are you using the TBS 'closed-source' drivers or the open source driver
for the 6981?

The TBS driver compile and install as I see it replaces most (maybe all)
of the modules under /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/kernel/drivers/media/
with copies from its own build tree. If the 292e relies on support in
recent kernels, the TBS replacement of the original modules may be
effectively removing support again.

I just experienced this myself while preparing to add a TBS card to my
backend system. I installed the TBS drivers, only to find that it broke
support for an existing Hauppauge card. So I have rolled back until I
can untangle what is needed to get both working.

Simon