[mythtv-users] libdvdcss

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Mar 19 09:51:42 UTC 2015

On 19/03/15 00:01, Mark Small wrote:

> On 18/03/15 05:15 PM, Mike Holden wrote:
>> On 19 March 2015 at 07:03, Joe Henley <joehenley at kc.rr.com
>> <mailto:joehenley at kc.rr.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Eric,
>>
>>     The info is:
>>     root at Giada:~ # ls -l /dev/dvd
>>     lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             3 Mar 17 14:08 /dev/dvd
>>     -> sr0
>>     root at Giada:~ # ls -l /dev/sr0
>>     brw-rw----    1 root     cdrom      11,   0 Mar 17 14:08 /dev/sr0
>>
>>     Thoughts?
>>
>>     Joe
>>

> Bad DVD drive?  Try a DVD that used to work and see if it still does.

Sort of off-topic: I have had variable results with almost every DVD drive I
have ever bought. Usually they work for a period of months and then start
misbehaving.

End result: I have a pile of old DVD drives sitting waiting for me to decide
what to do with them. (Don't laugh - I know you all do the same.)

Recently, I had to build a scratch host for some software testing and couldn't
install the OS using USB key. On impulse I pulled a DVD drive from that pile. I
fitted it with a IDE -> SATA converter and plugged it into the brand new
SATA-only motherboard. Manufacturing date on the drive? 1999.

Guess what? It works perfectly. I'm now looking at that pile of drives in a
different light.

--

Mike Perkins