[mythtv-users] Suddenly 0byte recordings (solved)

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Wed Mar 18 00:00:02 UTC 2015

> On 17 Mar 2015, at 6:46 pm, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>
>> This may help somebody:
>>
>> I was using haupauge USB dual card
>> I switched to a Leadtek USB2.0 DTV Dongle Dual DVB-T
>>
>> The failed recordings have completely ceased
>> The squark and pixelated recordings have dropped by 90%
>>
>> The signal strength and signal-to-noise numbers are artifacts of the card, not more than quasi random numbers.
>>
>> The leadtek worked out the box, I had to find firmware for the haupauge.
>>
>> Are my issues related to firmware? to driver issues? will they be solved? dunno!
>>
>> James
>
> Certainly some tuners are better able to handle low signal levels than others. But if you are still getting occasional pixilation I would be concerned that your signal levels are still too low. What signal and SNR values is the Leadtek reporting out of curiosity?

Heh Heh
leadtek reports 100% signal and 2.5dB S/N on every channel.
I have a modest outside ant (8db log periodic) with year old F-type cabling all the way (5 meters) to the card
I'm 5km line-of-sight to Perth then another 10 km to the transmitter sites.
Using the haupauge dongle signal strength is reported at 30%-60% and S/N in the 2’s
Using DVICO and Twinham PCI cards the numbers are similar
The leadtek has an internal splitter, the haupage an external to miniture leads, the DVICO and Twinham an external F-type  splitter.

All the above does not compute.

I will try a ‘metro-fringe’ antenna with 10dB gain
http://www.bunnings.com.au/antsig-metro-fringe-digital-outdoor-antenna_p4360385

James