[mythtv-users] ECS LIVA Frontend

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Tue Mar 10 21:52:05 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2 Mar 2015, Phil Wild wrote:

> On 1 March 2015 at 01:33, Scott Lipcon <slipcon at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just to add my experience - I bought one of the new ECS Liva-X models to use
>> as a second frontend.  I got the higher end (4G/64G) model, but I think the
>> 2G/32G one would work just as well.   It works ok as a frontend, but not
>> without some difficulties.    I had to upgrade to Mythbuntu 14.10 (I would
>> have preferred to use the 14.04 LTS releases) in order to get reliable HDMI
>> audio.    It wont boot at all if the TV isn't powered on at boot-up, which
>> is annoying but not a dealbreaker.  I spent the most time trying to get it
>> to not lose its mind whenever the TV was off - I had to disable various
>> screensaving/power saving options, DPMS, etc - either HDMI video wouldn't
>> come back, or HDMI audio, or both - but eventually I got that set right, and
>> it seems to be working well.
>
> I stopped xfsettingsd from auto-starting and this solved my problem of
> the LIVA needing the TV to be on all the time.

While looking up further information on installing Mythtv to the Liva
today, I ran across someone who had "the problem . . . that every time I
turned my TV off the HDMI connection would drop and when I turned the TV
back on it would show in the logs as reconnected but the TV would still
show no input." He put together a script that seems to call xrandr in a
loop to check the state of the HDMI connection. He appears to have
addressed his issues using that solution. See
http://extremelycashpoor.com/2014/11/ecs-liva-setup-part-3/ for details. I
can't comment on how adequate that solution is or is not, but since it
seems to relate to the issue being discussed I thought I'd add it to this
thread.