[mythtv-users] Backend window manager messed up

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Mon Mar 9 17:13:29 UTC 2015

On March 9, 2015 2:22:22 AM EDT, Damian <myth at surr.co.uk> wrote:
>On 09/03/2015 00:09, faginbagin wrote:
>> On 3/8/2015 4:06 PM, Damian wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I'm running MythBuntu on my home server's backend. The server is in
>the garage and I access it via primarily via VNC.
>>>
>>> For a few weeks now, the window manager (Xfce) has been messed up.
>When I log into VNC, it looks 'kind of' like it usually does, but
>there's no visible panel at the top (although I think that's just
>because other windows are in front of it rather than below it) and the
>other windows on screen (Firefox, SpiderOak, TeamViewer etc) don't have
>a top bar. The bar that you use to move, close, maximise and minimise a
>window. Those top bars are simply not there.
>>>
>>> Most things seem to be working ok with the server. The MythTV
>backend is functioning fine. My music server (Logitec Media Server) is
>working fine. I seem to remember that Dropbox stopped working, for some
>reason, a week or two before this problem started, but I didn't worry
>too much about that.
>>>
>>> So, it's household function is 'OK', but I can't do anything else on
>the machine because the GUI is messed up.
>>>
>>> Do you lovely people have any idea how to fix this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Damian
>>>

>> If you can get to the backend via ssh or telnet, you can probably
>restore the gui without rebooting using these commands:
>> sudo stop lightdm
>> sudo start lightdm
>> Rebooting should work too.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Helen
>>

>Thanks for trying Helen. However, I should have mentioned that I have
>rebooted many times since this problem began.
>
>I have also just done ...
>sudo stop lightdm
>sudo start lightdm
>... as you suggested.
>
>Unfortunately, it's all still broken. Not bars above any of the
>windows.
>
>Has anyone seen this before?
>
>Thanks,
>Damian

A couple of other thoughts:

Check for clues in the gui user's .xsession-errors file, also logs found in /var/log/lightdm, as well as /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

Make sure you've got all the latest updates. You can install updates from the command line using apt-get and/or aptitude.

There might be a corrupted config file, either in /etc/lightdm or in one of the gui user's .config or .cache dirctories. In that case, you might be able to fix it by creating a new user account and configuring lightdm to login as that user. It will take a fair amount of google fu to figure out how to do that from the command line.

HTH,
Helen