[mythtv-users] Novice

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 17:54:49 UTC 2015

On 3/5/15 12:30 PM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Sean Keogh <sean.keogh at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Thanks for the info. I’m not a sophisticated user and would like to go with the simpler solution presently. What advantage does the server option offer. Will the frontend allow me to use it as a dvr/stb?
> Looks like you don't realise how MythTV works.
> The Frontend (FE) will do absolutely nothing without the server (called the Backend, BE).
>
> The BE (or multiple ones in some installations) runs the database, manages recordings, typically has one or more tuners, has the storage etc. The FE (or FEs, there can be more than one) is responsible for interacting with the user and displaying what they select on the attached TV.
> The BE isn't much use* without a FE - the FE won't do anything without a BE.
>
> The BE and FE functions are separate - but they can co-exist on one box. So in some systems, there may only be one box which runs the BE, FE, and has the tuners and storage. In other systems (like mine), the BE may be in some cupboard somewhere running headless, while the FE is by the TV.
>
> With a Mac Mini, you are limited in choice of tuners - only network or USB. Some people use network tuners simply so they can put the tuner where it's convenient to get an aerial lead without having to put the whole computer there.
>
> Regardless of whether you run separate or combined BE & FE - you get the same functions. The topology is largely down to practicalities and preferences.
>

> * There are people who use other means to access it, but you are best sticking with a "native" setup.

Heh, I have many different FE's, one BE that is on an old Dell PowerEdge
2850 server and a secondary BE for processing purposes on an ancient
Dell Precision Xeon system that is a bit memory challenged.
My primary reason for my choice in BE (I'd have virtualized it if I had
thought a bit more on it) was due to RAID, dual Xeon processors, dual
power supplies,s enterprise level equipment and my tuner is network based.
Nobody with an operational brain *and* set of ears would put a PowerEdge
in an area with an FE. *Way* too loud.
The tuner is in the living room , the BE in the basement, the secondary
BE in the kitchen under a utility table, one FE is in the kitchen, one
in the living room, others in various other rooms.