[mythtv-users] Novice

Scott Moncrieff scottcmoncrieff at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 16:47:47 UTC 2015

I have a Mac Mini set up as a front end, mounted behind my TV on the wall.

The rEFIt route did not work particularly well for me so I ended up just
wiping the hard drive and installing Mythbuntu. You can write Mythbuntu
onto a USB flash drive, turn on the  Mac Mini, hold the  option key down
and select the USB drive from the boot options and install from there.

I have now installed a second drive in the Mac mini and have OSX on that
but have never used it. I have Windows 8 installed on the main drive with
Mythbuntu running in a virtual machine and it works very well as a front
end. Easy to make backups! I have multiple desktops set up in Windows with
a hotkey so my Wife can switch to Window and back easily when she needs.

The problem I had when I thought about using it as a backend was the tuner
cards. I did not really want to rely on  USB tuners and with no cost
effective DisplayPort/Thunderbolt options I decided it was best suited as a
frontend machine.

Happy to try and help if you can give some details of what you role you
want the Mac to play in your MythTV setup.

Scott