[mythtv-users] ECS Liva HDMI audio problem

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 18:24:42 UTC 2015

My mom has 2 identical ECS Liva systems. Same specs (2G/32G), same BIOS
version, same BIOS settings. Both running the same (latest) kernel under
Fedora 21.

The system which I just installed Fedora 21 on will boot to graphical mode
as long as the kernel is given the "nomodeset" parameter. If it's booted
without that, it reboots just as it's about to display the graphical login
screen.

BUT with nomodeset as a kernel parameter, the sound system doesn't see HDMI
audio to the TV ( /proc/asound/card0/eld#2.0) . It all works fine if I
connect the other Liva to the HDMI cable, so it's not the cable or the TV.

Is there a way I can rescan for sound devices to have the system recognize
the TV as an audio device? If not, how should I try to diagnose the
unintended reboots?  As near as I can tell, the system configuration is the
same (after exhaustive diff -r sessions).

Calvin Dodge