[mythtv-users] Projector and Frontend upgrade advice

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Mar 3 09:51:55 UTC 2015

Damian <myth at surr.co.uk> wrote:

> 3D is all new to me as I've never had a need to look into it before. Thanks for the tip on the Mede8er 800X3D media player. Is there no software method to play 3D rips? I wasn't looking to by an extra piece of kit just to watch the occasional 3D film.

I wouldn't bother myself.
I've seen several films in 3D at the cinema, and also tried out my mates new 55" Panasonic plasma. I'm not greatly impressed - well that's the polite version !

Partly, at the cinema they started with some trailers which were the biggest put off I could imagine - really over-playing the 3D and IMO bl***y awful. I'm also "a bit annoyed" that 3D is also spoiling the 2D versions - as in some of the scenes are spoiled to make 3D work.

In both Avatar and the new Star Trek reboot, stuff that's not the focus of attention is blurred. That's necessary to stop you focussing on the wrong thing in 3D - I particularly noticed it in a scene in Star Trek when the young Kirk is having a dialog with someone at headquarters. I was trying to look at the all the screens behind them - but they were blurred out. In the old 2D films, the screens in the background were works of art in themselves.
And don't get me started on the stupid way (in the same scene) they kept switching cameras (over the shoulder of one person, to see the face of the person speaking) which I could only see as a means of showing off the 3D.

So IMO, if you get 3D "free" then fine. I personally wouldn't pay a penny extra for it - and I'd rather the directors would concentrate on making the 2D versions "right" rather than naffing them up for the sake of 3D.

That's my 2d worth.