[mythtv-users] New Upnp Channel Changer Script (Dish VIP 211 users definitely read)

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Mon Mar 2 14:46:46 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 6:12 AM, Dan Wilga <
mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:

>  On 2/25/15 11:26 AM, Karl Newman wrote:
>
>  On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 6:54 AM, Dan Wilga <
> mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:
>
>> Ideally, there would be some way for the channel change script to tell
>> Myth, "I can't tune that" and have the recording marked as "failed".
>> Looking at the Myth source code, I don't think it does anything with the
>> script return value, so I guess there's nothing to be done in this regard.
>>
>>  It must do something with the channel change script return value,
> because I just had some recordings fail because my channel change script
> returned an error. They showed up in Myth as grayed out with 0 bytes, so it
> was obvious they had failed. It tripped me up, actually, because the
> channel change script failure was only logged as an info status under the
> channel logging group, so I didn't see the error in the log. I submitted a
> patch to change a failure to be logged as an error under general (so it
> will be seen with the default logging options) and it's been incorporated
> into master.
>
>  So, in your case, if the channel change script can detect the failure
> and propagate that as a nonzero script exit code, it should be picked up by
> Myth.
>
> Hi Jon,
>
> I'm attaching a revised version of your script which returns a non-zero
> status if tuning fails. In addition to the case where Myth is trying to
> tune to an unsubscribed channel, it also handles the case where the
> receiver is not working for some reason, since it relies on a specific
> return value from the upnp endpoint.
>
> When Myth sees a non-zero return value it leaves behind a zero-byte
> recording. While this is less-than-great, at least it does reschedule the
> program to record again at another time.

You may also be interested in the patch to log a channel change failure as
an error. Here's the ticket: https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12374 but
don't use the patch I attached to that ticket. I did it blindly and it
doesn't compile. Use this patch instead:
https://code.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/d8e11b227ec494a29a4a7831ad0e1787bec4e9f9/mythtv?format=diff&new=d8e11b227ec494a29a4a7831ad0e1787bec4e9f9
It's in Master but I don't think it's been backported. But it applies
cleanly to 0.27.4 at least.

Karl