[mythtv-users] Cheap frontend for HD

Tom Bishop bishoptf at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 18:04:15 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 12:13 PM, Stuart Auchterlonie <
stuarta at squashedfrog.net> wrote:

> On 29/06/15 16:54, Tom Bongiorno Jr. wrote:
> >
> > I am so tempted to buy several of these ECS Livas. I want them to be the
> > go to solution for a cheap frontend, but the deinterlacer on the Intel
> > graphics within MythTV is just not up to par with VDPAU IMO. I found it
> > to be a deal breaker.
> >
> > Is my understanding correct that the Intel graphics linux drivers have
> > VDPAU quality deinterlacer capability, but integration needs to be added
> > to MythTV? I may have this wrong. I am no authority about what parts of
> > the decoding process are done by the graphics chip or the software.
> >

> There is an API within VAAPI which supports de-interlacing in the Intel
> hardware.
>
> Sadly nobody has yet written any code to use this in MythTV :(
> so you are left utilizing software de-interlacing.
>

> Regards
> Stuart Auchterlonie

Sorry but I just have to, but there are other options that support can be
found in *cough* Kodi.

I have not personally tested the liva but sounds like I need to get one and
see how well it stacks up against the Pi2, however I do use VAAPI on some
of my other frontends and they have some pretty good de-interlacing in the
more recent versions.