[mythtv-users] ECS Liva for frontend - brief report

Larry Kennedy lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 17:13:11 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 10:31 PM, Larry Kennedy <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 4:03 AM, Phil Wild <phil at holobyte.com.au> wrote:
>
>> What do peeps think of the picture quality?
>> I'm a bit disappointed. My other frontend is an old V1 nvidia ION.
>>
>> The LIVA with VAAPI does not seem to interlace well. From memory, it
>> was set to Bob 2x.
>>
>> Suggestions on a fix?
>>

> Have you tried OpenGL Slim?  When compared with VAAPI, it's hard to tell
> which is better, but neither looks quite as good as my GT210 front ends.  I
> seem to notice more pixelation on this Liva.

Speaking of VAAPI, on my Mythbuntu 12 Liva front-end, I just realized that
I don't have the vainfo package as described on the wiki
<https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VAAPI>.  It looks like I have the other
packages/libraries, though.  If I instruct Myth to use the VAAPI decoder, I
suppose I'll see some error messages in the frontend log if the libraries
are not set up properly?  Would the front-end even be able to play back the
recording if I choose VAAPI and it isn't set up?  Does anyone know if
Mythbuntu 12 is known to have these libraries set up properly by default?