[mythtv-users] Cheap frontend for HD

Tom Bongiorno Jr. tbjr at bongohut.com
Mon Jun 29 16:51:05 UTC 2015

>>> I thought VDPAU is VDPAU and there is no quality differentiation between implementations.
>>
>> Nvidia graphics use VDPAU
>> Intel graphics, such as in the ECS Liva, use VAAPI
>>

> Ah, hence the confusion. So as I recall there is *some* support for VAAPI now. But it sounds like the ECS Liva is using some newer implementation for which there is little or no support.
>
> Yes, that would be a deal breaker.

MythTV uses VDPAU to talk to Nvidia GPUs and VAAPI to talk to Intel GPUs. VAAPI has been updated, as Gary mentioned, to take advantage of improved Intel GPU deinterlacers. The MythTV frontend code needs to be updated to take advantage of the VAAPI updates.

It is not clear to me if the ECS Liva has some of those GPU deinterlacer improvements.