[mythtv-users] ECS Liva for frontend - brief report

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Mon Jun 29 17:00:04 UTC 2015

On 6/29/2015 9:39 AM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 8:40 AM, Mike Perkins
> <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
>> Basically this is all to do with hotplugging code. The video drivers are
>> basically too smart and re-evaluate everything every time they detect a
>> change on the display feeds, which is not what most people want.
> Actually, I think "most" people want (and even expect) hotplug to work, and
> for their chosen application to adjust automagically to changes.  But those
> with presentation devices (TV, projector, etc.) that do not provide a consistent
> EDID even when "off" should nominally be capable of setting their driver
> config appropriately, or, if that is not possible due to driver limitations, one
> can obtain hardware EDID "spoofers" that are commonly available in the
> home theatre market to solve this very problem by making the video card
> (or your A/V receiver) always see a constant presentation device (the really
> fancy ones even come with a (usually Windows based) GUI programming
> tool that does not require one to read the specs and use a hex editor on
> the binary file).

I agree. But hotplug never worked for me. So I used the Nvidia option:

Option      "CustomEDID" "DFP-1:/var/lib/mythtv/Hitachi-p60x901-EDID.bin"

in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Since I leave my frontend on but my TV off, this
is really helpful when I reboot my frontend.

To create the EDID file though, I had to run X in verbose mode which
extracted the EDID info in hex. I then wrote a perl script to write that
back out to binary.